29 January 2017

Situation Report

WELCOME to We Stand and Fight, dear reader, which I intend to use to document my ongoing wargaming projects. Currently I am building forces and terrain with which to recreate the 1940 German invasion of France and the Low Countries in 10mm. For this I am also writing my own rules, which I am still in the process of testing. These are company-level and I hope to be able to make them available here when they are in a more presentable state! Concerning miniatures, over the preceding year I have gradually amassed and painted the best part of a BEF infantry company with various optional attached support elements. These are drawn exclusively from Pendraken and Pithead Miniatures and may be seen in the photographs below. To these I am to add:

  • 1x company and 3x platoon HQ stands
  • 2x Matilda A12s 
  • 1x Cruiser I A9
  • 2x  QF 2 pounders
  • 3x Morris CS9s

I have also started work on ze Germans and should be able to share some of my efforts in this direction over the coming weeks. As far as the future goes, I should like to add some French and then perhaps look at Poland 1939, but let's not put the cart before the horse! Regarding the former I have it in mind to recreate some of the desperate actions south of the Somme from late May-12 June 1940, where two Brigades of the 51st (Highland) Division were annihilated along with French 9th Army Corps. The Highlander's valiant stand is well documented in Saul David's excellent 'Churchill’s Sacrifice of the Highland Division: France 1940', which shines a light onto this obscure post-Operation Dynamo action and the rather grubby political machinations that lay behind it. A much recommend read. Anyway, that's enough waffle: on with the pictures!

Platoon 1 (Pendraken)
Platoon 2 (Pendraken)
Platoon 3 (Pendraken)
2x Infantry Tank Mk.I (A11) (Pendraken)
Cruiser Mk III (A13) (Pendraken)
Vickers Mk VI and Mk VIc (Pendraken)
3x Bren Carriers (Pithead)
Daimler Dingo (Pithead)
2x 25 mm Hotchkiss anti-tank guns (Pendraken with some Pithead crew for variety)
3x Vickers medium machine guns (Pendraken)

11 comments:

  1. Excellent work! I love me some 10mm WW2. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wally. I've just been looking over some of your own work in this scale/period. Inspiring stuff!

      Delete
  2. Don't know why - but I get a Forbiden error message when I try to follow you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cancel that .... on my 4th attempt it let me in! not sure what quirky thing was going on there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great figures and vehicles!
    Any reason you are mixing Pithead with Pendraken except for variety?
    10mm is such a good size for WW2...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, for variety. The Pendraken BEF range is pretty basic unfortunately (especially when one looks at their early war French and Polish!), so I threw in some Pithead gun crew to make things a bit more interesting. Pithead also produce a very comprehensive range of WWII vehicles (Phil boasts it is THE largest range of any miniature manufacturer in any scale!). Actually, earlier in the week I painted three Pithead Morris CS9s, which I will try and photograph and post up tomorrow.

      And yes, 10mm is the perfect scale for WWII!

      Delete
  5. Wonderfull stuf!!
    What size are your bases?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emilio. Bases sizes are 40mmx30mmx2mm, although I will be using 30mmx30mmx2mm for HQ stands. I get them from here: http://war-bases.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=18_130&product_id=841

      Delete
  6. Thanks!!

    By the way, aren´t you the autor of Trapdoor?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha, yes that was me. I gave up on it as there seemed to be no interest. I put a lot of time and effort into it and it was basically ignored, which was rather off-putting. All my fantasy miniatures and terrain have been sold, I'm afraid.

      Delete
    2. Pity you gave it up. I liked a lot your blog Drums in the Deep.
      I believe that there were people interested in Trapdoor, at least in Lead Adventure there were interest, and a couple of spanish players, one of them published in his blog.

      Delete